firefly
Last Saturday, on the 1st of November 2008. I’ve participated in an inspiring event, where it sparked a thought into my head to dedicate a new blog for the children in the whole world. It was the 4th National NGO Forum themed “A World Fit for Children”.

Mainly students and NGOs attended the forum but there were quite a number of people. Truthfully speaking, if it wasn’t for my lecturer I wouldn’t be there in the first place. I was suppose to attend the forum and write a report about it but it turned out to change my point of view, widened my thinking perspectives, led me into the reality and motivated me to empower the vulnerable yet precious children’s lives.

I would give the forum a 5/5 rating if it wasn’t for the hypnotizing opening speeches. I could barely gather my thoughts and concentrate on what the people were talking about. In the opening speech, we were “briefed” about their past efforts and current progress, but I’m 100% sure that nothing got registered even in my short-term memory. However, things started getting better as soon as we got into our groups for discussions about the assigned topics.

I went into a studio room where there were only about 20 people. From that instance, I knew that I had to take off my hat, put on my thinking cap and take on the role as a child rights advocate. We are in the Child Rights Advocacy and the Media discussion room. Dr. Kiranjit Kaur was the first to speak and she presented on the functions of the media and how it can be used for child advocacy. Be it the print media or the electronic media, they were very profit-minded. Everything that goes in or comes out have to, in the end turned into $$$. All news, articles, messages or advertisements were weighed with $$$, a unit that we never have had learnt in mathematics that it is used for weight.

That is the reality and that is also why we, all the participants couldn’t answer her question when we were prompted in the discussion. What have we come across in the media that tells us about children? We could hardly recall anything in the TV that “speaks” for a child, not to mention letting a child speak. I for one could only think of how children are used in advertisements. She explained about media framing and how has it been in Malaysia. Either it is a Malaysian attitude to be less sensitive to a certain issue when it cools down after awhile, or just because nobody is discussing about it anymore (currency of a topic), or we are just plain forgetful! Everything just seems temporary. Let me illustrate that in an actual example. When Nur Ain or Sharlinie went missing, there are very intense efforts and sizzling discussions in the country. Everyone was alarmed-for awhile. Eventually, these “trends” never last.

Out of sight, out of hearing, therefore out of mind? Helen Keller would have called that socially deaf and blind.

Haven’t the public realize how serious these problems are and that preventive measures has to be taken at all times? It struck me during the discussion, all those elements that makes up news values, impact, timeliness, currency etc., I wonder how they were defined when it comes to fighting for rights and supporting causes. Aren’t these supposed to be evergreen issues? If there weren’t such big impact to our lives, why are there so many NGOs and movements trying so hard on raising awareness and focusing everyone’s attention to a certain issue? Why their ongoing efforts get buried under scandals and entertainment news? From that point, I knew that I had to do something; I’m a new media user. I’m part of the media, I can make a difference. The internet is where I shall begin with.

We had another speaker in our session. She’s the writer for the Child Wise column in Sunday Star, Ruth Liew. Her speech further assured us that every one of us can do something and make a difference as an individual. Her inspiring experiences and efforts left us no room for excuses as she had walked through tough times to be who she is today, a child advocate in the media.

The brainstorming sessions began after we were split into 3 groups using the “Titanic” game. Each group came up with a good few of key recommendations on how we can change the media’s roles in child rights advocacy and which each presented well. We were well-informed about the problems that we have today such as the over-emphasis on academic achievement which led to major problems in children today such as stress, depression, various other mood disorders and suicide. The culture here that we have very high acceptance or I should say we have been educated this way-to accept everything others say. This has led the children today and even some adults to be reacting passively even to the matters which concern them. Most importantly, many of us do not know what are the rights of a child. There was little exposure via family teachings, school education, community discussions or even the media.

We later gathered with all the other sessions such as the Child Protection, Technology and Its Risk, Education, Drugs and Vice, and Juvenile Justice where each session sent a representative to present on the points as presented their respective discussions. It was very pleasing to see proactive people voicing up their thoughts, comments and questions during the Q & A session. This shows that the crowd has been critical and analytical towards what had been presented.

The forum came to an end in the evening and I went home as a satisfied, inspired and with a vision to be part of a child advocate.
0 Responses